Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tuesday Track

Coach Steve got everyone all fired up today about our track workout:  PR the mile.  He's been building this up for the last week and I have been thinking about it lots.  Nervous?  Maybe a little but really, what's the big deal?  About a month ago I did a 6:52 so that was my goal, to beat that time.  I wrote down splits, descending, that I thought sounded manageable and calculated a 6:46.  I can do that.....

The workout built up to the 1600.  We had 6x(400,200) at an "easy" pace.  OK.....Beth and I started at 53s which felt a bit fast.  Hmmmm, I'm not sure how this will work because I calculated my first 400 at 53s.  Oh, and did I mention, it was HOT HOT HOT!!!  Probably around 93 degrees but it's good Peak training right?  Finally, finally we are ready to start the 1600 after waiting the last week to do this.  My main goal:  don't blow up....start out slow and try to descend.  Bethie wanted to hold 50s and I thought it was a bit aggressive.  But we started and the first 200 felt OK but a bit fast:  51.  Faster than my written plan but I'm going with it.  Next 200:  51.  Then 50, 50, 49, 50, 49......for a time of 6:41!!!!  WOO HOO!  Awesome, beat the goal and still managed to descend.  

So that makes 2 great track workouts in a row.  I'm feeling pretty confident going into this weekend.  If I can do a 6:41 all out, surely I can manage 7:35-40s for a 10k????  

Best part:  I'm pretty sure all my peeps PR'd today, Nice Job everyone!

Second best part:  I went shopping all sweaty at Nordstrom afterwards.....ewwwww!

No comments:

Site Meter