Monday, December 8, 2008

18

Saturday morning I woke up bright and early, well maybe not bright and I guess it wasn't all that early - 6:30 (sleeping in for me!),  to run 18 miles.  I had been dreading it just a bit all week, that run and the annual company holiday party Saturday night.  But I did want to run all 18 miles.  I still wasn't sure about the party.  My knee has been giving me just enough trouble to make me think twice about the distance and you never know what the weather is going to bring.  But Saturday morning was BEAUTIFUL.  A balmy 35 degrees to start, clear skies and no wind.  A perfect morning for a long run.  And my knee felt great.  I decided that Highline Canal would be the best place to put in the miles, a gorgeous trail that cuts through what I think is one of the nicest/prettiest parts of Denver.  Plus, it is completely flat and since it's an out and back, it has built-in bail outs if my knee decided to scream.    

I had put out only one or two invites for the run, and I really didn't try all that hard for company.  As much as I love running with all my buddies, every once in awhile I think it is good to just get out there by myself and do it on my own.  So that's what I did.  I also decided to run it based on heart rate and not worry about time.  Michael (awesome hubby) gave me the luxury of not having to shuttle kids around to ballet in the morning so I didn't have that extra time anxiety.  As I started out, I just relaxed and  I felt GREAT.  I also felt like I had to pull the reins in too - I wanted to go faster but I needed to stick with my heart rate to make sure I had a great run.  The miles just kept ticking by.  1.5, 3.5, 7.5 and it was time for the turnaround.  Now there were some challenges in the run:  1/2 mile pick-ups at miles 10, 12, 14 and 16.  First one was hard, second and third were even harder. Fourth not good.  But I did it.  And I never walked (OK, for 30 seconds after the fourth pick-up).  

As I started my last mile, and about the time I was starting to get tired of myself, I saw friend Noell!  I was soooo happy to see her, she was in the middle of her run and we stopped and chatted for a minute.  (OK, that counts as a walk too) And then I was done.  I had figured about 3 hours for the run, but I finished up at 2:47, average heart rate 149, and I felt strong at the end.  My pace never fell off and my pick-ups were pretty quick.  I saw coach/friend Andrea at the finish and walked with her for a bit and caught up.  So, all-in-all a fabulous morning!!  

And then the REAL fun began.  I got home, got showered, ate, and ran off to get my hair done for the party.  After all this, I had approximately 1/2 hour to get ready before the sitter showed up and we were off to downtown.  I have been so unenthusiastic about my company party this year, I suppose the markets may have put a damper on my mood.  But as always, the company puts on one helluva party and we ended up having a great time!!  The bad part?  Getting to bed at 1am......OOPS.  

So, the recap:
Best part of run:  Seeing Noell and Andrea
Second best part of run:  No time constraints (ILU Michael)
Third best part of run:  Knee held up pretty well!!!

Best part of party:  Re-writing and singing "White Christmas" with dinner table.  Words went something like this
I'm dreaming of a bull market
Just like the ones I used to know
Where technology stocks glisten
And Wall Street analysts listen
And IPO stocks (forgot the words, freakin' hilarious)
Second best part of party:  Recycling LAST year's dress by putting a cute sweater on it....nobody knew the difference!!!!  Look at me being thrifty!!  

1 comment:

gosonja said...

Nice job on your run Michelle, that is a super honest effort! Way to stay consistent.

I agree too that sometimes it is so nice to run alone and just be with your thoughts for awhile. You have to have confidence that you can get it done on your own!

Way to go PIC!
Sounds like the party was super fun too!

Site Meter