Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ru-roh

I was so excited about today's little workout because there was something just a bit different on the schedule.  A little tiny bit of speed:  10 miles, with 1/2 mile 10k pace efforts from 4 - 8. Sweet! After a long couple of months in the LSD mode (long slow distance, please I am NOT using drugs) a bit of speed looked like it might be kinda fun.  

This is the type of run that is PERFECT for the Highline Canal....flat and with mile and half mile markers lining the trail.  I had my Garmin of course, but there is nothing around my house that is flat so I made the trek to the trail.  The first three miles were great and easy (as they should be for a warm-up) and I kept thinking about my pace for the 1/2 mile efforts.  I took the last 10k I ran (off the bike at Nationals and my best 10k time evah) and figured it would be cake. I mean really, just 1/2 mile efforts right? Ha.  What was I thinking??

The first one went well, I was pretty steady and held a pace lower than my target.  The second was OK, but I noticed my pace was all over the place (7:29, 6:54, 7:52, 6:19 - wah? etc.).  And that one hurt.  I kept telling myself, self hold steady on the pace and you probably won't blow up your heart rate.  But do I listen?  Nah.  Third 1/2 mile really hurt and once again pace was variable.  Fourth one I wished I was done.  And I thought this was going to be a cake walk??? Oh, and the fifth effort?  I managed to even out the pace but my legs felt so heavy I wasn't even sure I was lifting them up off the ground!!  My legs hurt!!!  I stuck it out though and finished up the run and was soooo glad to be done.  

Which leads me to my next thought.....on the docket for next week?  A group track "event":  10 x 1 mile repeats.  Oh man.  Here we go.  BRING IT!!!!!  I am so excited to be back on the track with my peeps, but now after today's run, maybe not as excited for the actual workout.  And I just found out about Sunday's run.....bottom of Deer Creek to the top of City View.  20 miles of climbing baby.  And that sounds so much better than speed work!!! 

What is wrong with me?  


No comments:

Site Meter